Thursday, November 09, 2006

Xinjiang Part I (9/29/06- 10/7/06) -- A Post Long Overdue


Ugh I'm awful... haven't updated this blog in over a month.... but let me attempt to recall the details of the trip....

It's hard to believe that it has been over a month ago that I have embarked on one of the most amazing trips in my life. In this 10 day trip, I was enraptured by how culturally, ethnically, and geographically diverse Xinjiang was. As one of the western most province in China, Xinjiang incorporated many aspects that resembled Central Asia. The local people (Uygher, Tajiks, Krgyis, etc.) looked Middle Eastern, believed in Islam, and mastered the art of trade. Xinjiang's terrain also emcompassed the Taklamakan desert, the Tian Shan mountain ranges, Turpan (Tulufan), the hottest and deepest depression in China, and breath-taking lakes such as Lake Karakul and Heaven's Pool (Tianshi). With the help of our trusty guide book, the Lonely Planet, my aptmates and I rode camels through the desert, bargained at the Kashgar bazaar, biked through a dust storm, and even spent a night in a yurt! To sum it up, Xinjiang....back-packing style... with great music and delicious food....that's the way to do it!

Day 1 (9/29) Big Traveling Day: We left our apt at 6 am, flying from Beijing to Urumuqi, and from Urumqi to Kashgar.

Picture of me and April before we left

Our Middle Eastern Hostel!


Day 2 (9/30) Desert Trek: We hired a private driver for the day and drove about 4 hours out to the less-touristy desert. Though not exactly like the huge sand dunes in Lonely Planet, the sand dunes we saw were definitely worth the trip. The hairy camels made my day. Hayes now has an unhealthy obsession for camels. :)

Eating fresh nan for breakfast

My beautiful space cadet camel blocking my face... followed by hayes and her happy camel
Our camels wandering off... with two baby camels stuck between us!

Me, my "tour guide", and two zen-like camels


daniel (our german traveler buddy), april and me in this vast desert :P



Day 3 (10/1) Kashgar Sunday bazaar: This bazaar was the largest market in China -- traders from Central Asia, Pakistan, and nearby villages come to Kashgar to showcase their goods. We went nuts shopping for daggers and scarves. I even bought myself a carpet (though not made of real silk, for about $5...who cares!). These merchants are hard to bargain with though...heck, I'm not surprised... they had centuries of trading experience. Unfortunately we missed the livestock market....but it was still a worthwhile trip.

The lovely market



Unibrow!



Day 4 (10/2) Lake Karakul: This is probably my favorite part of the trip. We had a wonderful Uygher jolly cab driver who drove us from Lake Karakul from Kashgar in four hours.....much faster than what we expected.




We then decided to pay a little bit extra money to go to Tashkurgen -- the western most city in China. Most of the people were Tajiks and had a taller headdress and veil that differentiated them from the Uyghers and Hans. We visted an ancient forttress that was destroyed by an Afghan female general and her troops in the 13th century. I even bumped into a Cornell alum who was on his way to Pakistan in this unlikely city!


Tashkurgen
Before
After
View from ancient fortress
After a few hours, we drove back to Lake Karakul, listening to wonderful Xinjiang music, met some American travelers and stayed overnight in a yurt!


Sleeping in the yurt, with layers of lasagna-like blankets
Camel dung for heat!
The Family
Sunrise at Lake Karukal

3 Comments:

At 1:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i cant believe you rode on a camel!!!!!!!! these pictures are amazing haiching!

 
At 11:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just went through your post.

Xinjiang seems so remote...but looks like an Awesome place...the dessert ... camel ride .... confluence of cultures .... breakfast Nan (slurrp!!).

Love your narrative.

- Shravan
I work for your mother in NYC. I am sure she is having a gala time there.

 
At 3:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

did u get a new camera? haha

 

Post a Comment

<< Home